Wow, seems like a lot is happening fast. I haven't updated in just a couple weeks but it feels like a lot has changed. Fortunately I'm still pregnant (36 weeks tomorrow) and now working part-time per doctor's orders. I am feeling so much better now that I am able to get some rest each day because I'm certainly not sleeping much at night.
River's night continue to be challenging. We are catheterizing him twice a day (morning and night) to check his residual urine after he pees. We are getting better at it, and so is he. Tonight he barely fussed at all. I'm not sure if this will be a permanent change for us - I think at this point we are just collecting data so the urologist can advise us how to proceed until the spinal MRI in mid-May. Unfortunately, the emptying of the bladder each night does not help him sleep any better overnight. We're back to dosing him regularly with tylenol, motrin and clonipin. At least I can be confident that he's not squirmy and upset because of an overfull bladder.
He spent his first night at Cedarcrest last week. We've been trying to get him there for months for a "practice" night so that he can spend a couple days there when the baby is born. Something always came up postponing - trips to Boston, illness, digestion issues, etc. Finally it happened, and the timing could not have been better. We'd been having some very rough nights and we desperately needed some sleep. Once I got over the sadness of leaving him there, I was able to enjoy having a restful night of sleep... as restful as it gets this far along in pregnancy.
Now that we're just about 36 weeks we won't be leaving home until the baby is born. No more trips to Boston or Dartmouth, which is a relief. It's nice to stay home and continue to nest. The weather is improving and I'm looking forward to walking outside again. Not that I have a ton of energy, but a walk around the block feels manageable. It is surreal to think we could have a baby anytime now. I don't feel completely ready (would I ever?) but we seem to have everything we need to take care of a little one.
I can't understand how this has happened but for the first time in my entire pregnancy I have heartburn. Usually women get it much earlier and it starts to resolve as they get near the end of pregnancy when the baby drops. Not me. I've loved spicy food the entire pregnancy, now if I eat the blandest food after 9pm I'm up with heartburn (now for example). Perhaps it's all catching up with me but I'd like to be able to sleep in a lying down position, please. Suggestions?
No comments:
Post a Comment