Friday, June 12, 2009

June updates

Today I spent some time with Mary and River. He is working on assisted rolling. From his back we position his limbs, turn his hips and he follows through with his upper body. After a day of practicing he seems to be initiating this movement more frequently. Tonight I helped him turn onto his side, left the room to get his dinner ready, and came back to him on his stomach. And he seemed to be happy to be there. He typically detests belly time, and is not shy about expressing this. So it feels like a lot of improvement is happening. His new babysitters are a big part of this, especially as they spend more time with Mary learning how to support his development. Caroline and Anna divide up the week, while Meghan, Julianna and Susannah fill in on the evenings and weekends. It is quite a team!

Sleep is better, much better. We are not using the oxygen or the pulse oximeter, but are keeping it around for when he gets sick. He also gets flonase nightly (an intranasal steroid) Everyone is sleeping better!

The vegetable garden is doing well -- peas, tomatoes, peppers, and lots of lettuce are all very happy. I've just planted green beans, and am going to add squash and pumpkins shortly. The flower garden out front is still not flourishing. I haven't been able to spend as much time planning and supporting it's growth. So I mostly admire other gardens lovingly while I think about what I might do next year.

We don't have any other medical appointments scheduled for many months. We love visiting with Julia's family, and the luxuries of Boston (restaurants, museums, shopping when we can afford it), however it takes us away from our home, which we love.

I'll try to take more pictures of the punky boy... his hair is out of control and I'm thinking another haircut will be coming up soon.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Just wanted to say i miss your weekly visits ... it's been nice to see all of you more often ! Even though it is alot of driving. Hopefully i can come up one of these weekends . Give River some kisses for me :)
Cara