River now has a new Gastroenterologist for whom we are very fond. We drove 2 hours to see her and for good reason. She listened to our concerns, responded and immediately came up with a plan addressing his gastrointestinal needs. What a concept. The plan involves changing his formula (done), taking x-rays of his digestive system (done), adding a new antacid medication (just started), giving him a daily laxative (done), and culturing his stool for an infection (not done). The doc is addressing his reflux as well as possible motility issues. Once we get him more comfortable, she recommended concentrating his formula to give him more calories.
I love plans and I'm glad we have one. At first I thought that things were getting better but now I feel as if they're getting worse again. This is common - we advance a few steps, and go backward a few steps. I don't think we've really made great progress in terms of figuring out why he is so miserable and what we can do about it. I'm discouraged and frustrated and I feel bad for the little guy. He doesn't deserve this. We don't deserve this. The impact this has on his ability to engage with his world is enormous. When he is in pain, he has no tolerance for developmental play. We need to get this fixed, soon.
People are still reaching out, wanting to help. We really appreciate this. Most days we are running very close to empty so dropping off a meal is a tremendous help. I hope some day we can give back to others as generously. Thank you to everyone.
Here's a picture of River in his new Ella Roo sling. I bought it after hurting my back a few weeks ago. It spreads his weight (almost 14 pounds) over both of my shoulders, instead of just one. He still loves being snuggled in a sling.
3 comments:
Hi Hannah,
Thanks for sharing your blog with me. You really have such a way of stating things and of just taking things in. Justine
Hi River! I was glad to see a new addition to your blog! You and your family have really touched my heart and I want you to let everyone know that I'm sending good thoughts your way! Keep up the good work! From Kaden's Granny J.
I just noticed your email, with the link to this site. Sorry I missed it. I am now eagerly reading...talk to you again soon, Hannah. (Pete)
Post a Comment