Wednesday, May 7, 2008

River gets a bug

I don't have any pictures to post today but after taking a very informal survey I decided posting without pictures is okay. I always feel like my blogging is incomplete without new photos but sometimes narrating our life with pictures is not always possible. I am sure River's fans will understand. Perhaps your patience will be rewarded with another River movie.

What is new in River land? For starters, River is recovering from his first illness. Not bad for 8 months old. Unfortunately it was, and continues to be, a difficult one to recover from. After a week of not eating well he came down with a fever last week. The next day the diarrhea started and lasted all weekend. Poor little guy didn't get a break for even an hour -- no sooner had we changed his diaper than it needed to be changed again. We did our best to keep him hydrated, finding out he really enjoys orange Recharge (like Gatorade), and is a very sweet baby when he is under the weather. Now that he's feeling better we're working on his nourishment. He still doesn't have his appetite back yet. For most babies this wouldn't be a big deal but I am especially concerned because of his issues with weight gain. We happened to be at another doctor's office today (more on that later) and he has lost weight since his last check a month ago. We see his pediatrician Monday and I'm sure she'll be able to reassure me that he is fine.

Other news is that River's mummies will both be starting new jobs sometime this month. I will be working days in the women's health clinic and Julia will be staying home with River. It is a big change for all of us but one that I believe will make us all happier, at least more sane, by the end of the day.

We spent the day in Boston and are now in Worcester staying with Julia's family before we drive back to Vermont in the morning. (I should be sleeping but it's not working for me. I know I will regret this in a few hours when he is up.) We had a lovely evening with all of his aunties and cousins taking turns toting him around, playing with his hair, telling him how adorable he is. What a lucky boy he is.

I have more to write about our day in Boston but I'm tired now so you'll have to visit again later. Nighty night.

No comments: